We Pick Our Favorite Photo of 2017 and We Want to See Yours

A few weeks ago we published an article about the value of critiquing your own photography in order to improve at the craft. We also mentioned the value of a certain exercise that can help achieve this; picking your one favorite you’ve taken and figuring out what exactly you love about it.

The CP staff and I decided to do that for 2017. More importantly, we want to encourage you to do so, as well. To that end, we’d love to see your favorite photo that you’ve taken this year. So if you’re up for it, pick your favorite photo and tell us about it in the comments section of the post. Add a link to a place where we can see the shot.

Here are each of our favorite photos, why they’re our favorite, how and why they were shot, and with what gear. We hope you like them.

Chris’ Photo

Panning shots are a challenge. Set the shutter speed too fast, the background freezes and the shot becomes bland. Twitch mid-pan, and your subject can fall out of focus. Snap the shot before or after your point of critical focus, and suddenly the whole photo is nothing but a blur no matter how steady your panning sweep. Do all of this on film and you have no idea if you are fouling up shot, after shot, after shot.

With this many variables and potentialities for disaster, every time I pull off a panning shot on even a technical level I’m pleased. Just getting a shot where the subject is crisp is enough of an annoyance that I’m happy to crop later just to make the photo work a bit better on the composition front. When a panned photo of something moving as quickly as a formula car at close range comes out, and I can use the whole negative, I’m nothing short of ecstatic.

I shot this particular formula car at Connecticut’s Lime Rock Park in September of this year. I was pinned to the back straight fence trying to get myself as close to the action as possible, which is oh so hard to do at a racetrack. This time, it paid off.

To the best of my memory, this was shot on a Canon F1. The lens was a Canon FD 200mm f/2.8, and the film was Eastman Double-X shot at box speed. Shutter speed was somewhere around 1/125th, though it may have been slightly slower than that. In any case, I’m more pleased with this shot than any other photo I’ve made this year.

Josh’s Photo

The snow-capped Eastern Sierras of California are one of the state’s signature natural wonders, and something every Californian should see once. But beautiful they may be on their own, they take on a complex, poignant character if viewed from the Manzanar National Historic Site, the historic site of one of the United States’ many Japanese internment camps.

The camp has since been turned into a museum, serving to inform and educate patrons about the tragic years during World War II that saw the forced relocation of Japanese Americans. Walking through the museum is an intense experience, as you come face to face with an extremely dark part of U.S. history, all told through the firsthand accounts of the people who suffered through internment.

While reading through these stories, I came across a section where an internee was reflecting on the beauty of the mountains from inside the camp. He wrote that the eternal beauty of the mountain range gave the internees hope that one day they would be free from their temporary suffering.

The sentiment sounded nice, but the truth behind it didn’t hit me until I found myself sitting inside the camp’s mess hall, looking back out at the majestic Sierras through a small, rickety window. Without giving it a second thought, I raised my Nikon FE, focused and metered for the mountains, and took the shot.

I have to say, the mountains never looked as beautiful as they did then.

James’ Photo

The process of picking my favorite photo from 2017 was challenging. My heart tells me that the hundreds of shots I’ve taken of my two-year-old and ten-month-old daughters are the best. But if I put on my editor’s hat, I know I need to pick something a bit less sentimental and a bit more cerebral. Here’s the result.

I mostly consider myself to be a bad photographer. I take shots of things that look pretty or interesting, and I try to play with light, but I’m very aware that my photos don’t contain much in the way of message or commentary, personal or otherwise. I’d like to change this, or at least figure out how to flip the switch when I want to take serious photographs. I chose the shot that I chose because it’s one of the first photos I’ve taken that has at least some degree of craft and significance (to me). Here’s why.

I’ve been a working stiff for much of my life. Even as a college student, I worked full time. From age eighteen to twenty-three I worked the night shift stacking papers at the tail end of a newspaper printing press. The job paid next to nothing and permanently damaged my sense of hearing. I spent the next ten years working with chemicals. I won’t get into this too much, but imagine breathing acetone and oil fumes all day, every day, for ten years. Plus the aches and pains that come with lifting heavy shit all day, and the mental weariness that comes with wasting your education and being paid just enough to stay alive.

The longer you work these kinds of jobs, the harder it is to see anything else; a way up and out, the path that might allow you to do something fulfilling. And if you work these kinds of jobs too long, it’s almost as if you lose your vision completely. You go to work, come home, get nowhere, and never see that there could possibly be anything different.

After ten years, I knew I needed to provide a better life for my brand new daughter and family. I quit my job in February of 2017, and dedicated myself full-time to growing this site and the camera shop. I’ve been doing this every day since.

I found the subject of my photo in the basement of a dimly lit grocery shop in Boston’s Chinatown. The man was surrounded by stink, the smell of old fish and bad produce. The shop was not heated, even though it was February and close to zero degrees outside. He wore rubber boots, a rubber shirt, rubber gloves, and a thick, rubber apron. He was mopping the floor, but to me it looked like he was simply dousing the filthy floor with filthier water. A cold worker in a poorly ventilated crawlspace of a shop. Looking defeated and miserable. Was this the peak of his potential? Is this what he would choose to do, given the choice? I snuck in and got the shot.

When I first saw this image, it made me recall all the unhappy years I’d spent at dead-end jobs, all the years I’d spent unable to see a way up. I also noticed, sadly, that the man in the photo appears to have no eyes.

Of course, none of this is immediately apparent to a viewer who hasn’t read these paragraphs on the shot. I guess incorporating clearer messaging into my photos is the next step toward becoming a good photographer. 2018, perhaps?

The photo was made with a Contax G2 and Contax G mount Zeiss Planar 45mm, on some expired Kodak 400.

Jeb’s Photo

For the second year in a row, 2017 saw me traveling to Europe with film cameras only, and once again I learned the hard way just how much I’d over packed. Medium format, tripod, some point-and-shoots, an SLR and multiple lenses. And just like it was the year before, I rarely touched anything other than my Minolta XD with the Rokkor 35mm f/2.8 lens. That pairing is great for travel; the XD is small and sophisticated and the 35mm’s a sharp lens with a great all-around focal length.

Hamburg is Germany’s second-largest city and also one of its cloudiest. Having taken the train from Berlin, I planned to tour the city for the day and shoot as much as I could. I knew very little about the hot spots in the city, but had read an article before the trip about the recently completed Elbphilharmonie, which is both a world-class concert hall and the jewel of the city’s skyline.

After taking what may be the longest escalator ride of my life, I reached a small observation deck looking at out on the city and Elbe River. It was here that I saw this family pause and take in the sight. I’m really not much of a street photographer and I’ll always be uncomfortable with the intrusiveness that is required to make really great street photos. But in this instance, the opportunity for an interesting photo fell into my lap.

With all good photography, being there is the most important thing. I think I shot this at f/8, and as usual, the center-weighted metering of the XD with the infallible Kodak Tri-X delivered an even exposure. On a trip filled with somewhat underwhelming photography, this and a few other photos on that roll were diamonds in the rough.

Dustin’s Photo

Children are often difficult to photograph. My boys, cursed with photographers for parents, have quickly developed a heightened sense of photo anticipation. Not a day goes by that they don’t turn the opposite direction or obscure their faces obstinately as the camera is raised. As our collection of awkward family photos grows, their defiance has led many observers to think that our kids are angry or even evil at heart, as they browse the family photo albums. Of course, this couldn’t be further from the truth (though I have at times considered that my middle child may be the spawn of satan). Regardless, nothing pleases me more than capturing their unique personalities on film. I consider these photographs to be my greatest treasure.

During our annual pilgrimage to Whistler, B.C., Canada this past summer, the boys, some friends of ours, and I took a walk around one of the local lakes to find a high rock to jump off of. Part of that walk required us to follow a set of train tracks for a bit before eventually ducking into the shrubs. I had my trusty Pentax 645n with me that day, attached to the stellar Pentax FA 75mm f2.8, and loaded with my favorite 120 color film, Fuji Pro 400H.

As we hopped onto the tracks, the boys, sans shoes and shirts, began hollering and throwing rocks. It was like a scene from Lord of the Flies as they hopped from rail to rail, and danced around in some sort of pre-pubescent hunting ritual. I recall running a few yards up ahead adjusting my aperture (wide open) and shutter speed (1/1000) as I did so, knowing there wouldn’t be much time to get a shot off before they denied me the pleasure. As I turned and raised the camera to my eye, my youngest had followed me down the center of the tracks and had begun what I consider to be one of the most bizarre pelvic thrust motions I’ve ever witnessed. Truly, no child should know how to move their body in this manner. Despite my desire to laugh, I fired one shot, just as the camera reached my eye, and ended up with the shot.

My youngest isn’t the easiest child by any stretch, but for him to humor me for just a split second, and for me to be able to capture it forever, makes this not only my favorite photo of 2017, but one of my favorite photographs I’ve ever taken.

And that’s the end of our 2017 shooting year. As we mentioned, we’d love to see your favorite photo you’ve taken all year and hear about what makes it special. Tell us about it in the comments section and link us to a place where we can see the shot.

And as always, thanks for making 2017 a wonderful year for CP. We love sharing your hobby with you and are always honored that we’re able to do that. From everyone here to all our friends out there, have a great end of 2017 and best of luck as we move forward into the new year.

CASUAL PHOTOPHILE is on FacebookInstagram, and Youtube

Advertisements

Thomas Lesain
    December 22, 2017 at 12:48 am

Please be kind, I just moved from phone photography in april. I’m proud of this one :

Minolta XD-5, 50mm f/1.4
    Hillvale Sunny 16 (400 ISO)
    f/1.4 @ 1/100

Thomas Lesain
      December 22, 2017 at 1:06 am

Edit: actually the film was Fuji Eterna Vivid 500T (a motion picture film stock).

Jeb Inge
        December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Really cool shot. That 50 is an awesome lens. That’s a tough scene to meter mentally so well done!

Thomas Lesain
          December 22, 2017 at 10:00 am

Thanks a lot. I love shooting handheld available light but yes, I’ve learnt the hard way that I cannot trust the meter for this type of photography so I just follow some sort of a rule of thumb like sunny 16 but for night photography. Focusing manually in low light situations is also problematic sometimes.

December 22, 2017 at 9:33 am

Very cinematic lighting. Love it.

John Li
    December 22, 2017 at 1:22 am

This is my favorite film shot from 2017. https://johnjayli.com/2017/11/58-chevy-bel-air-front-shot/

I attended the Cars in Corktown fall car meet, held at The Factory in Corktown (inside Detroit), and brought along my Morgan and my TLR camera to the party. I shot this picture just as the owner, Richard, pulled into the parking lot. Car is an immaculate and perfectly period-correct car, right down to the accessories. Picture was shot on a Mamiya C220 TLR with an 80mm f/2.8 lens on Kodak Tri-X 400 film.

Jellygeist
    December 22, 2017 at 1:23 am

I’m proud of this one: https://flic.kr/p/21oruyw

I’m proud of it because I thought it would be terrible when I took it, and immediately thought of a better shot to take inside this old, rundown KFC, but I couldn’t take another shot because my roll was finished. So when I got back the scan, I was floored when it turned out to be the most evocative shot on the roll. I wanted most of this roll to be about loneliness, and I think this shot is as lonely as can be.

December 22, 2017 at 9:35 am

Absolutely captures a feeling of loneliness. Is that a discarded broccoli on the ground?

Jellygeist
        December 22, 2017 at 12:58 pm

It’s either broccoli or a really scuzzy bit of fried chicken.

Huss
    December 22, 2017 at 2:56 am

Great thread!
    Mine would have to be one from a project I worked on called “Color of Money”

Huss
    December 22, 2017 at 3:00 am

p.s Dustin I just love that photo! Not just his expression which is hilarious and serious at the same time, but the framing that has the other boys on both sides of him in the background.

Stéphane
    December 22, 2017 at 5:22 am

My favorite shot of the year is a portrait I made from one of my former students. She’s no professional model but I previously had the occasions to make some photos of her and I was convinced she really had something worth of making a whole portrait shooting session. She quickly agreed to my idea, and we had a 2 hours photo session, walking in the city with no specific plan, just using the locations and light whenever I thought it could make a good shot. It was kind of a very improvised and spontaneous shooting.
    For the specific portrait I like the most, we were just making a little break and chatting together. The sun suddenly came out from behind the clouds, bringing a stunning light from the side and I grabbed my Nikon FE paired with the Nikkor 50/1.2 lens, opened it to f1.2, focusing quickly on her left eye and took the shot, hoping something cool could come out. I made some more pictures afterwards, but the magic light was gone.
    I love all about this picture: the beautiful light with this unexpected flare, the shallow depth of field, the bokeh, the grain of the film (fantastic Bergger Pancro 400, home processed), and of course the way she looks at the camera. When I discovered the result I was totally happy as it was really one of the less “prepared” shots of the whole shooting and I think that’s it’s the kind of magic and surprise I love with analog photography….
    Here’s the shot https://www.lomography.com/homes/vicuna/albums/2156388-model-shooting-madeleine-nikon-fe-rolleiflex/22319862 (and full album of the shooting here https://www.lomography.com/homes/vicuna/albums/2156388-model-shooting-madeleine-nikon-fe-rolleiflex , perhaps you prefer other shots than this one? let me know)

December 22, 2017 at 9:36 am

Beautiful series. Looks like it was a wonderful day of shooting.

Pepperberry Farm
    December 22, 2017 at 7:29 am

difficult to pick one single shot for the year, but this is mine:

December 22, 2017 at 9:36 am

Gorgeous light on that one. Nicely done!

Thomas Lesain
      December 22, 2017 at 10:03 am

Absolutely lovely. It makes me want to be there right now.

yashicachris
      December 22, 2017 at 10:34 am

Beautiful… lovely colors.

DVL
      December 22, 2017 at 11:36 am

Love the colors and mood here. Bravo!

the6millionpman
    December 22, 2017 at 8:45 am

This is my favourite image I’ve taken this year although it’s taken on digital not film (heresy I know) but it’s for a sentimental reason, my mother got re-married this year and she asked me to make some images of the Castle in the center of the town I grew up in that she was having the wedding party in. This is the one she chose for the invitations, cost her and me nothing but it was very nice that she though it was a good enough image to have printed onto hundreds of invitations for her friends.

December 22, 2017 at 9:37 am

That’s a stunning shot and a fantastic use of wide angle. Beautiful my friend. Congrats to your mom!

yashicachris
      December 22, 2017 at 10:33 am

Excellent composition, lighting and subject.

Jim Grey
    December 22, 2017 at 9:27 am

If we’re voting for which of the authors’ photos we like best I pick Dustin’s! The expression on the front boy’s face is priceless.

My favorite is this one, taken with my Polaroid Colorpack II on my last pack of FP-100C. I just loved that film and miss it terribly.

I’ve selected nine other favorite photos, which I’ll unvail later next week on my blog.

December 22, 2017 at 9:38 am

Great photo from a very “basic” Polaroid camera. I’m with you on the lamenting of pack film… But looking forward to your blog post Jim! Thanks again pal.

yashicachris
    December 22, 2017 at 10:31 am

Nice selection of excellent photography presented here. My favorite this year is https://www.flickr.com/photos/127540935@N08/32696698372/in/dateposted-public/
    My first outing with my Fujica GW690 loaded with some Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100. This vintage GMC is not completely in focus but the high resolution of the 6×9 negative gives a pleasing softness to the composition. Our eyes have gotten used to the blazing sharp details of digital – sometimes it’s nice to see some softness in a pic.

DVL
      December 22, 2017 at 11:39 am

This one is wonderful. I love how the shallow depth of field makes the truck look like a toy in a strange way. And yes, softness in photos is an underrated aesthetic.

Pepperberry Farm
      December 22, 2017 at 9:34 pm

I like this softly-finished b&w – great shot!

yashicachris
    December 22, 2017 at 11:23 am

My favorite color photograph is presented here https://500px.com/photo/235994109/christmas-cactus-pre-bloom-by-chris-w?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=23990533
    For me it just works on so many levels.

Marija
    December 22, 2017 at 11:56 am

This is my favourite analogue one from 2017.
    It was my first time ever shooting with Kodak Ektar 100, and I was superexcited for this roll of film as I started to play with Praktica BC1 only a few months before. I was such a newbie that I even loaded the first film the wrong way and there was not one single picture. 🙂 (it was cheap) I also wear glasses and am spoiled by digital autofocus so I was amazed when I saw that the photo came out even better than I wanted it to be. There are several from that series that I also love, but this one was the first I saw an because of that is my favourite.

December 22, 2017 at 11:58 am

Beautiful. Ektar is possibly my favorite film, and backlit leaves get me every time. Keep shooting!

Adriana
    December 22, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Hi all!, my favorite photo this year is:

I’m not used to taking photos of people but loved the way those girls sat there looking at the sculpture 💛.

December 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Look slike a beautiful place to sit and think. Very nice.

Geoff
    December 22, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Love the images posted…shows me I haven’t quite got back yet…after a lifetime of pro photography I suffered a number of strokes, most minor one major 3 years ago. Anyway after a very slow start photography has been great therapy for me and I count my blessings daily that I can still enjoy life. My favourite from this year is the one linked below…I would never had the confidence to do this 6 months ago..so whilst it’s a snapshot by most folks standards it’s a highpoint for me this year. Merry Christmas one and all. https://www.instagram.com/p/BcEjVMkgSbK/

December 22, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Beautiful photo Geoff. Sorry to hear of your struggles but we’re wishing you all the best, my friend. Keep shooting and enjoying life.

Geoff
        December 22, 2017 at 1:01 pm

James thank you!!! I love shooting my old film cameras, I’m glad I hung on to some of them when I moved to digital for pro work. 99.9% of my work is on film as I prefer taking photos to fiddling on PC’s. Have a good’un!

Huss
      December 23, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Such a great shot Geoff, the feeling in her eyes.
      Glad you’re doing better.

Geoffrey Roughton
        December 24, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Thank you Huss!! Yep doing ok…have a great Christmas!!

Robert
    December 22, 2017 at 12:07 pm

I have too many favorites. but I will narrow it down to two photos, one black & white one and one color one. The first is the black and white one. I took the photo on a hiking trip to old rag in Virginia. I took a bunch of photos on trix400 with my nikon fe. I brought two lenses, a 28mm 3.5 aid lens and a 50mm E lens. (they were light and replaceable if something happens. my friend Casey was jumping around rocks like a mountain goat.when I developed the film in ilfosol 3 I had it in the developer a tad too long but the look on this one is cool.

the other photo was just a picture I took at home in the morning when we were at the beach. I had some velvia 50 in my nikon f5 and a 85mm 1.8d . I was trying to kill the rest of the roll. this picture is of my buddy chase about to go for a swim.

December 22, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Wow, that Velvia is a lovely film. Great shots pal!

NullPointer
    December 22, 2017 at 12:40 pm

My favorite photo from this year is this one: https://flic.kr/p/HPi3pz. While not shot on film (sorry), I love the warmth and the shallow depth of field. I’m a sucker for taking cliche shots like this, but I’m actually kind of proud of this one. I’ll be in a darkroom photography class this next semester (with my Canon A1) so hopefully more analog shots will fill my future!

December 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

We love digital too, and I can almost feel the warmth in that shot. Have fun in your upcoming darkroom class, my friend!

Russell
    December 22, 2017 at 1:23 pm

My favorite of the year is: https://flic.kr/p/CiAkdE. This was taken in Aberdeen WA with a Nikon FE2, 20mm AIS lens on Portra 400. Yet another example where taking the long way home can yield unexpected discoveries!

Graham Beveridge
    December 22, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Wow some fantastic photos! I especially enjoyed Josh’s and Dustin’s. Here’s my favorite photo I’ve taken this year https://www.flickr.com/photos/150828905@N08/34894323764/in/dateposted-public/

john grzinich
    December 22, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Picking my favorite mainly by memory here because I shot a lot of film this year, but this one has stuck in my mind. I was hiking with a friend in January in central Finland where you only get a few hours of daylight each day. This was a rare crystal clear but cold day where the sun clipped the horizon for a few hours then faded away. The afterglow was amazing. We came upon this little bay with patterns of freezing ice being highlighted by the radiant glow of the blue sky. I took a few shots before my fingers froze and was relieved when this one came out. The camera was a Konica Genba Kantoku 28wb with some humble Kodak Color Plus 200.

Benjamin Chan
    December 22, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Many to choose from, but this is my pick for 2017: https://500px.com/photo/223259505/to-the-light-by-benjamin-chan. 2017 was the year I decided to go all-in with film photography. For our trip to Europe I packed only a Pentax MX, a 40mm pancake, a 28mm, a 100mm, and 15 rolls of Portra 400. It was the first trip without a digital camera. This was in Riga, Latvia, in one of the underground walkways crossing under the street near the train station. I didn’t expect much when I took it. I was on the move behind my wife and daughter and didn’t want to hold us up setting camera settings and composing. So this ended up being a quick snap.

H.Marrache
    December 22, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Really love the mountains through the window shot !
    My favorite of 2017 will be this one : https://www.flickr.com/photos/125547901@N03/38921980701/in/datetaken/
    I just finished a 1600km road bike trip through southern France and Spain, until Galicia. I bring the smallest camera I could with me : an Olympus XA of course. Loaded with T-Max this time. Most if the time I use a Minolta XD with a 50mm f/2 though.

Sharon Leibel
    December 22, 2017 at 6:13 pm

A few minutes after shooting a friend’s proposal, on a cliff watching the sea, I saw this amazing sunset and took a bracket of 3 photos handheld without metering. Kind of the best decoration for their wedding, designed by nature.
    In retrospect, this was also the last digital photo I took this year. It’s all film since then

nicky makin
    December 22, 2017 at 11:11 pm

I shot a hell of a of film this year, but I often don’t let myself enjoy it as much as I should because usually Im testing some camera Ive bought from a charity shop or a pawn shop. The Idea of using expensive film and making treasured memories on a camera that may well be a dud has really clipped my wings a bit. Anyway, that said, I took out a Pentax MX I had just purchased from a camera swap meet – put in a roll of Koday Ultramax 400 and went for a drive. We happened across the “Distinguished Gentlemans Ride” (a charity event for prostate cancer) and saw a multitude of fellas & a few ladies in Dapper outfits on amazing motorcycles. What would have been a really boring pic was accidentally photobombed by one of the dappers giving it a pseudo 1960’s / Martin Parr type feel. At the time I was annoyed but luck was on my side and it turned out to be a favourite because of that very dynamic accidental movement. Thankyou Mr Dapper. From memory that day I was using either a 50mm smc pentax-m f1.4 or a vivitar 28mm 2.8
    heres the shot https://flic.kr/p/YZy7cf

bodegabayf2
    December 23, 2017 at 11:56 am

I love the narrative and photo from James. Wow! My favorite shot from 2017 was taken on my first outing with a new-to-me Canon F-1n. I was also shooting Portra 160 for the first time. After the heavy rains we had early this year in Northern California, I went to the little town of Jenner where the Russian River empties into the Pacific Ocean. The swollen river was dumping muddy water into the Pacific and the ocean was stained brown for as far as you could see. After taking a bunch of shots, I was walking back to my car and noticed this woman standing alone on the beach. I fired quickly before she moved and ended up with an image that I liked a lot. https://www.flickr.com/photos/94809351@N06/33214289925/in/photolist-SG66fc-To9cPY-TC6f8R-SB2Ve8-SPVD8p-XzJYoE-WV3CMN-UW4R5t-V56Yay-TTZyZ2-V931QB-UxFi3N-UMHMm5-TVLcJ2-T3fj2d-TyPQAK-TEKbLc-Sxik9V-S5yKqu-SAceT7

Borys
    December 23, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Cool shots!

My favourite photo of 2017 has to be the one I took in Warsaw. It’s nothing special, however I think that it does well when it comes to evoking the spirit of past era in Poland. Right there with the Palace of Culture and Science and a vintage bus, that single frame can act as a little time machine.

The photo was taken on Ilford FP4+, exposed at 100, developed in Caffenol-CL (70 min. stand development), with a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20/2.8 MC (which is a gem!) and Zenith ET.

Cheers!

James
    December 23, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Everyone’s photos are amazing. Here is my favorite picture of 2017. https://flic.kr/p/UCDYFb

Geoffrey Roughton
    December 24, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Some amazing photos everyone!! This is my second post so apologies for that but after a very slow start 3 years ago this is my best from 2017. I’ve been blessed with the support that family and friends have given me and that my journey back from the brink has come this far.

Bob
    December 24, 2017 at 10:30 pm

My favourite image of 2017, has to be from the precious roll of EIR I finally used after purchasing it many years before. It’s amazing how the electromagnetic spectrum works.

Devon Salyer
    December 25, 2017 at 1:31 pm

I shot this photo with my Nikon L35AF with Ilford Delta 100 film. It was on the plane train at ATL.

Alex
    December 25, 2017 at 8:23 pm

my personal fav this year:

Vann Tate
    December 26, 2017 at 2:22 am

I shot this with a Canon AE1 on expired Kodak film. It was one of the first times I was able to successfully translate what I saw into the final product. https://www.flickr.com/photos/156597295@N04/37035665631/in/dateposted-public/

Joe
    December 26, 2017 at 2:35 am

Similar to James’ comments, the photos I am most emotionally attached to are the ones I’ve taken of my kids and family. But with those aside, there is one image from this year I consider my favorite.

I travel to Taiwan for work three times per year, on average. Between meetings, I am in the habit of having my camera in hand or on neck when in transit from place to place. On this day, on the way back from a meeting, a delivery truck had lost most of its load in the street. The driver was picking up the lost trays strewn about the intersection. As we approached, I didn’t have time to do much else other than try to focus and frame. And from the passenger seat of a moving car I released the shutter and captured the moment, framed as I had hoped. Taken on JCH Streetpan 400 with a Voigtlander Bessa R3A and Nokton 40mm f1.4 MC lens.

Theo
    December 26, 2017 at 7:17 am

I have a few I like this year, but I especially remember this one. https://instagram.com/p/BbyV4hzhJm4/
    I was at a local festival and thought the cakes would be nice through the tent material, but just then the baker peeked though, I quickly refocused and took the shot. Nikon F3, Nikkor 50mm at f/1.8, Kodak Portra 400.

Theo
      December 26, 2017 at 7:19 am

BTW. Great photos from everyone, these are all really good. Happy 2018!

Edward Gonzales
    December 27, 2017 at 12:04 pm

This was tough! I have a lot I like, but this one captured a moment on a great trip with great friends from Cape Flattery at the very tip of Washington state:

Amusingly enough, captured with both a film and camera that I don’t use often: Kodak Ultramax 400 with a Olympus Infinity Stylus. The camera can miss quite often, but when it hits, it knocks it out of the park.

Max
    December 27, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Hey! Really like the site!! Appriciate all your work, keep killing it in 2018!

That one is probably my favourite one this year: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142510465@N03/36536803956/in/dateposted-public/.

(Shot on a Nikon Fm2/28mm lens/ pushed hp5 by two stops)

I guess I just like how all the different components of the picture work together to form the final image. The ice cream, the woman sort of stepping in it, the reflection, the mcdonalds sign, the triangle of light, i even like the lens flare in this one.

Best wishes! Some really good ones in the thread! Keep it up!

Max

Zeb Andrews
    December 27, 2017 at 1:24 pm

As has been said, this can be a tough challenge to narrow it down to a single photo. It is kind of like saying, Choose your favorite half an hour from the past year. But here is my choice, as much for the image itself as for the process I went through making it and the challenges I had that day to be a creative photographer and eventually overcame to make this image. The life behind the images I make is generally more meaningful than the images themselves, but those images serve as bookmarks in one’s memory for those days and hours spent out there.

December 27, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Zeb, that’s a gorgeous image. Really stunning.

mynamesnotjason
    December 27, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Great thread! It’s really cool to see what everyone’s into as far as shooting, subjects, tools-of-the-trade, etc.
    I think this might be my favorite shot from the year. Our family took a trip to Boston earlier this year, and it was my first experience with “big city” life. I had never ridden a train or subway before, and most of the shots I came home with were from under the city.

December 27, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Boston’s our home base! So glad you visited and I hope you liked it. Great shot.

J- Leman
    December 29, 2017 at 11:10 am

Another enjoyable article! I myself never thought i will be able to pick 1 favourite shot from this year – I will most probably go for favourite 15 or 20 for this year instead. I took the challenge and here’s my favourite picture for 2017.

Picture was taken in Penang, Malaysia during a 1 day short visit in early November. It was about 9-10 in the morning and some streets were flooded because of non-stop monsoon downpour the night before. I was walking pass a street-side restaurant, and noticed someone from the eatery feeding the birds. I took out my trusty Olmypus XA-2 (HP5+) and took 2 shots. And when I start to focus with my Nikon FM3a (35mm f2.8 lens + Kodak Gold 400), there was a loud horn from a car or motorbike moving pass. That’s when I took a snap. I’ve forgotten about the shot, only to be reminded after I got the roll developed.

Olli Thomson
    December 29, 2017 at 11:29 pm

From my first roll of film through my newly acquired FM2n with 50 1.8 AI Nikkor on Ilford HP5 at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC.

Jeremy H. Greenberg
    January 3, 2018 at 5:40 am

Here’s the image: http://jeremyhgreenberg.zenfolio.com/p98178013 I love this shot above all others because it was made with some of my favourite gear. Also, it sort of echos the “Provoke” period style from the late 1960s/ early 1970s Japan which I happen to like a lot. I really like thematic images like this “Encounter” type of scene. The image was shot in Hong Kong very serendipitously using a Minolta CLE, Leica 40mm f/2, and a roll of Rollei Retro400S 35mm B&W film and developed and scanned at home.